A few more thoughts about my Hong Kong trip...

I know a lot of people hate public transportation, but for me it was always a great way to start my day in Hong Kong. Not because of the transportation itself, but because there always seemed to be something on every ride that brought a smile to my face. The first morning I got on the subway around 7am...seriously. I was kinda tired but had the excitement of being in Hong Kong to keep me awake. Others on the subway apparently did not have that same level of excitement or energy, because when I looked around the car I was in there were about 10 other people all asleep! It was hilarious, leaning there head against a rail or wall, they were all asleep. I had a good chuckle. The other two times involved kids. One trip there were two kids, young enough they couldn't walk. They dressed in superman and batman outfits, which I was kinda jealous of, and there parents were flying them around and having a great time. Who wouldn't enjoy this. Finally on my last sub ride, there was a little girl, probably 3 or 4 and she was just dancing up a storm and swing off the handrails. It was so much fun watching. She didn't care who was watching or what was going on, she was just having a blast. I can't wait to see what's in store for me next time on the subway.
Hong Kong itself is a fast city, hustle and bustle 24/7. Very different from Macao, which is very laid back. In Macao you cross the street whenever you want, in Hong Kong it's a little more tricky. The traffic is way faster, so you pay far more attention to the crossing signals. In Macao the traffic laws seem to be more like traffic tips, you can follow them if you wish. The sidewalks are much more crowded too! It never seems like you are walking down a sidewalk, it was more like you were always in a line. Another large difference between HK and Macao, is that Macao has little to no green space, seriously, none. Hong Kong on the other hand has a ton. They have huge parks with grass and trees. There are even large national parks great for hiking and climbing. The Chinese culture is very big into outdoor activities and really love to hike.
Finally, my Hong Kong tour guides and hosts for the weekend, Robyn and her mother, were such a blessing. I literally spent the whole with them and wouldn't trade it for anything. They showed me a bit of the city, introduced me to some great people and took me climbing. Beyond that we shared many stories and experiences. I told them a lot about American culture, particularly midwestern and they shared a lot of neat stories about Hong Kong and Asia. I am very grateful for there hospitality, they did not even know me until they met me at the bus for the refugee run. I am very lucky to have had these experiences and met the people I have thus far. If the second half of my adventure is half of what the first half has been it will be a greta success!

Brent


0 comments:

Post a Comment